Author Topic: Different type collars  (Read 1792 times)

Offline NJBourne23

• Chris- Eastern PA
Re: Different type collars
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
Four of the five dogs pictured below are using metal prong collars.  They walked proudly & happily  along with 1200+ other dogs and their owners in the streets of uptown Charlotte.   Please print this picture, bring it to your trainer and tell her her to put it in her pipe and smoke it.

Great response  :lol3:

My question is related to the prong, when is a godo time to start using a prong on your dog?  Maximus does grat off leash but now that he's getting more curious he feels he can do what he wants a little longer and go where he wants even when i call him.  We go for walks well we try on a more consistant basis but he likes to sit and anchor himself on the sidewalk at times and will not move unless i tell him come.  He will trot to me then sit and not move as soon as i begin to walk.  When i'm with another dog he's great or once i spend a good 20 mins with him on the initial to the corner walk, then he just continues along the way.  I dont want to use a prong too early but i do want a good idea of when it's best to start using it.

Chris
Maximus- FWF 12/19/11
(Dixie's Carolina X Neil III aka Suma)

Offline brasswind

• Molly Sycamore Creek Tyra x Tocho
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 07:38:37 AM »
I'm with Tasia. My trainer perfers the choke collar, but I don't have the "knack" of using it correctly so she let me use the prong for training. I understand people's reaction to the prong who do not really understand it. It looks like a cruel device, but is actually more gentle, at least as I use it. I don't need to give that very sharp "pop" like with the choke collar. The only problem I see is that they are more likely to come apart so a back up collar is probably a good idea. I use a "Modifyed" prong called the "neck-tech" which has shorter teeth that are more like a mother dog's teeth. It also does not look like a prong, especially with the optional nylon cover you can get so you won't get funny looks from some people who don't understand. As far as when to use the prong, I would say when you begin obedience training and would otherwise use a choke collar. The issue of dominance I think is an individual one. Just like with human kids, some will take advantage and require greater "corrections" than others. Molly is a very sweet girl, but has lately been rather "bratty" and bossy when she wants something- she barks in my face. Some trainer treat every dog as if it will be a vicious killer if you don't harshly dominate the dog. Others are against any kind of negative "correction". I don't think there is a "one size fits all" dog training method. We have to learn our dogs "Karma" and personality and adjust training accordingly. I think positive should be tryed first, but if it doesn't work, try something else.

John and Molly :paw:
John, Franklin, NC

AM Molly 5/4/2010
Bulldog Toby R.I.P. 11/8/2000-5/21/2011
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brasswind

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
  • The Herkimer Battle Jitney
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 08:07:18 AM »
Great response  :lol3:

My question is related to the prong, when is a godo time to start using a prong on your dog?  Maximus does grat off leash but now that he's getting more curious he feels he can do what he wants a little longer and go where he wants even when i call him.  We go for walks well we try on a more consistant basis but he likes to sit and anchor himself on the sidewalk at times and will not move unless i tell him come.  He will trot to me then sit and not move as soon as i begin to walk.  When i'm with another dog he's great or once i spend a good 20 mins with him on the initial to the corner walk, then he just continues along the way.  I dont want to use a prong too early but i do want a good idea of when it's best to start using it.

Chris
[/quote]

Firstly, I did not start using the prong with either pup until they were each 6 months old. That was the recommendation by my trainer.

Jazz was an "anchor dog" as a puppy. Just as with Maximus, she was fine when sidled up to Bueller on walks, mimicking what he did.  When it was time for individual  walks and training with her (highly recommended so each pup responds to YOU and not the other dog) she walked as though her legs were made of lead and would just sit.  I was not above REALLY, REALLY good bribes---little bits of roasted or microwaved hot dogs to use as incentive upon giving the command to "heel" or "come" or even "sit."  Whatever commands you prefer, be consistent and show the treat simultaneous with the command.  It makes for a lot of walking along stooped over for "heel"  much like the carrot on a stick in front of Maximus' nose, but, it works and you won't be doing it for long. After a few weeks you will be able to treat sporadically, gradually weaning off the treats and Maximus will be great when out with you.  I know this is what worked REALLY WELL with Jazz.

Jazz really is a "homebody" and prefers staying at the house and her own backyard, but, she walks beautifully because that is what is expected.
Bueller is the polar opposite, BTW.
"More wagging, less barking!"
Mike & Barbara, SC

Bueller, silver fawn male, 8/31/04-5/16/13 (until we meet again) Orion Farms Juno X Odin
Jazz (Pooka's Jazzy Dream), apricot brindle female, 11/20/05-7/15/16(now walking with Bueller)Orion Farms Pooka X Odin
Herkimer Battle Jitney, apricot male, 9/08/06 Flying W Farms Lady Marsha X Nigel
              rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline NJBourne23

• Chris- Eastern PA
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »
Yeah i dont want to use the prong yet because he responds pretty well with my verbal commands even off leash.  My brother just brought his 8 months old rotty over for me to watch and beside the two of them having a ball together running around and play fighting (both being submissive at times) i'm hoping that the rotty will help teach Maximus the proper way to walk.  As i stated in an earlier post, when we took a walk the last time together, Maximus was walking like a show dog.  :rofl4:

Surprisingly enough, Maximus has been taking his "nipping" antics to his cousin Theseus and he's been correcting him that it hurts when you get a nip by soft jawing him and yelping at times when Maximus get's too puppy crazy.

Chris

Will have some pics to post soon!
Maximus- FWF 12/19/11
(Dixie's Carolina X Neil III aka Suma)

Offline dmartin

• Yes mom, we're sharing the bed.
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 03:55:33 PM »
I really think what collar you end up using depends alot on your dog's temperment.  Sierra was a very "hard" dog and at times was very defiant so I needed to use some pretty tough corrections.  After getting dragged into the street one day when she tried to take off after a cat, we moved quickly into using a metal prong.  I think she was about 5 months old at the time.  We *had* been using a choke collar but I was not happy with it.

Sasha on the other hand is a very "soft" dog.  I've been using the Starmark plastic prong on her since she was about 8 months old and she still responds qreat with it.  Because I'm planning on showing her in either Obedience or Rally, I won't be able to use the prong, (not even the plastic prong) so I've been trying to transition her to a martingale collar.  I put both collars on and have a leash attached to each of them.  I work her on the martingale as much as possible and switch to the prong as needed.  It gets a little complicated in my hands but the more I've been doing it, the easier it gets and the longer I can go with the martingale before I need to use the Starmark.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  I have a very loose rope dominant dog collar attached to the leash at all times no matter what collar(s) I have on.
Debbie from Toronto
Captain Kiss, CGN, CRNMCL, CRNTMCL, CRAMCL, CRATMCL- Hidden Acres Farm
Born May 9/14 to Abby / Bull

Sasha, CGN, CKC, CRNCL, SDS-SP, SDA - Hidden Acres Farm
Born: Dec 10/10 - RIP Aug 19/16
Hunley / Rebel

Sierra - Hidden Acres Farm                     
Born: Mar 6/08 - R.I.P.Oct 26/10           
Max / Savannah    

Spend your time teaching what you want, not stopping things you don't want.

Offline ZottFam

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 07:22:10 AM »
Hi Debbie - where did you get the dominant dog collar, or did you make it yourself from something else? I know Leerburg carries them, but I didn't think they had them big enough for our pups. Thanks!!!
Steph from Macungie, PA
Kona, FWF born 3/14/11 (Dixie's Carolina x Bregon)
AKC Star Puppy, CGC
Echo, FWF born 11/7/12 (Robin II x Nigel Bear II)
Certified Cutie-pie

Offline dink1948

• FORUM STATISTICIAN
  • Ed - Vero Beach, Florida
    • Flickr
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »
I get mine from Leesburg. Some are actually to big.

Ed & Cruiser  :paw:
Cruiser
Juno X Merlin 8-19-2008
Orion Farms
Mr-T Chihuahua 8/17/01 adopted 10/2004 passed over the bridge - 12-18-2014. RIP Little Fellow.
Romeo Chinese Crested 08/04/02 adopted 10/2004 passed over 10-07-2015. Tell Mr-T hello.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31380521@N04/

Offline dmartin

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 09:06:10 PM »
Hi Debbie - where did you get the dominant dog collar, or did you make it yourself from something else? I know Leerburg carries them, but I didn't think they had them big enough for our pups. Thanks!!!

I got mine from Leerburg originally for Sierra but I ordered it waaaayyyy too big, so I tied some knots in it.  Now that I'm using it on Sasha, it's getting a little tighter than I want it to be, so I will be ordering another one soon. They go up to 27" in length but I would think if you emailed them (orders@leerburg.com) or called them (715.235.6502) they could make one any length you need.  The girls that work there are super nice to deal with.  Great customer service in action!
Debbie from Toronto

Hunley / Rebel

Max / Savannah    

Offline miaswarts

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 08:43:31 PM »
Bumping this thread.  I got Maggie the Curogan prong collar and have been really happy with it.  It has never popped, the snap buckle is a breeze to put on and take off.  I took out one link and it fits her perfectly.  The only down side is the nylon strap is showing some wear after 7 months of daily walking and training use - no biggie for me, as I can have my mom sew a new strap when needed.

Curogan Dog Pinch Collar with Nylon Loop and Quick Release Buckle - 50004 (67) (3.25 mm) (50004 (67) (3.25 mm) Pinch Collar with Nylon Loop)
Size 3.25 mm 10 links 23 inch ( 58 cm )    from www.fordogtrainers.com

For Dude (7 months old now), I have been using the fur saver choke that I bought for Maggie (never fit over her head) and he is working really great with that.  Problem is that it is already too small for him (gonna see if my GSD friends can use it).  I want to order him another one but not sure how big his head will get.  I did get a comment from a guy who said it looked like the chain from a ceiling lamp, but I think it looks studly on Dude.

Astonishing Brass Fur Saver 25" - 51604 (33) (51604(33) Brass Fur Saver Dog Collar)   from www.fordogtrainers.com    

This website has some pretty awesome high quality stuff.

Maria (Dude's Mom)

Daddy's Debonaire Dudeness, Male Fawn (apricot)
Hidden Acres Farm - Hunter x Zoey - 06/10/2012

Magnificent Maggie May, Female Fawn (fluffy), CGC, RN
Lazy M - Dozer x Zoey - 04/06/2010-12/24/2013 RIP sweet girl

Offline Teresa

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »
Another vote for the prong. I have always used them for training on my dogs and for walks. The only difference from some using the prong is that the one that I use is a very small link. I just add new links as I need them for length. The thing is--its not how big the prongs are--its how you properly use the collar and you train your dog. I still keep her decorative collar on and then the small prong choker above that when walking. I remember one time when we came across an owner walking their small beagle with this huge link choker on him---he couldn't believe how small Kirby's was for such a big dog--and yet the poor beagle was being choked by incorrect use of the collar. We talked for awhile and I think (I hope) that that collar was replaced by a smaller prong collar. You don't need a huge prong collar on these pups. :American.Mastiff:
Kirby
4/11/07 GideonXDixie
FWF

Offline miaswarts

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:20 PM »
Teresa - I'm hoping that Dude won't ever need a prong (Maggie absolutely needs one).  He is such a good boy on the leash and if I can not go there, I'll be so happy.  I love the choke for him and he responds so well with a minor correction, but I am thinking about getting the smaller sized link on his new collar.  While the fur saver sized link does look studly, it is a bit hard to make a correction which hasn't been a problem as Dude doesn't need much correction.
Maria (Dude's Mom)

Daddy's Debonaire Dudeness, Male Fawn (apricot)
Hidden Acres Farm - Hunter x Zoey - 06/10/2012

Magnificent Maggie May, Female Fawn (fluffy), CGC, RN
Lazy M - Dozer x Zoey - 04/06/2010-12/24/2013 RIP sweet girl

Offline dmartin

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 10:48:41 PM »
Hey Maria,  Check the collars on the Leerburg website if you can't find what you want.  www.leerburg.com

I've order quite a few things from them.  Everything has been great quality and their customer service is amazing if you have any questions or concerns.
Debbie from Toronto

Hunley / Rebel

Max / Savannah    

Offline Teresa

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 10:33:58 AM »
Teresa - I'm hoping that Dude won't ever need a prong (Maggie absolutely needs one).  He is such a good boy on the leash and if I can not go there, I'll be so happy.  I love the choke for him and he responds so well with a minor correction, but I am thinking about getting the smaller sized link on his new collar.  While the fur saver sized link does look studly, it is a bit hard to make a correction which hasn't been a problem as Dude doesn't need much correction.
I rarely have to actually tug on the collar when its on Kirby--but the few times we walked where I didn't have her on a "heel" and the the prong collar kinda turned upside down and she was busy sniffing something I didn't want her to sniff--it was clearly evident that she just knows when its on correctly and responds much faster--I like to think of it as just a nudge in directing the pups. I didn't think Kirby really needed one either--but the times that I have used it--I am glad it was on her. She associates going for a walk with me having to put the prong on first before we leave. Also, if there are the right amount of links on the chain--it shouldn't interfere with their fur at all. I have had probably to buy extra links 3x with Kirby's growth :big_grin:
Kirby
4/11/07 GideonXDixie
FWF

Offline dmartin

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 09:21:02 PM »
Sasha is a very "soft" dog and it sounds like Dude may be too.  Currently Sasha is doing most of her work on a martingale collar but if I know we are going somewhere exciting, like a soccer game, I put her Starmark "puppy prong" collar on her.  It is only a plastic prong collar but it gives me that extra bit of control should I need it.

No matter what collar Sasha is wearing, I always have a back up collar attached to my leash for safety purposes.
Debbie from Toronto

Hunley / Rebel

Max / Savannah