Author Topic: Random vest issue  (Read 261 times)

Offline MarthaBarclay

Random vest issue
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:02:55 PM »
I'm not sure where else to put this...

I'm fostering a Lab that is a future Dog Guide in training. He isn't legally in training yet, but we have a vest and card for him and rely on the good will of store owners to allow us in, which so far only one library has said no :D

Now. We haven't had ANY issues with him and the vest. None. At all. He actually loves it, it means he going on a car ride to a fun place! But today... Oh my. I wanted to go to the corner store not even 3 houses away, and went to put it on him. He backed away VERY fast. I said "NO. Langley, sit." So he sat "good boy" and tried again. Sad sad sad SAD face. Saddest face ever. There are two pieces of velcro, one on the chest one around the belly. Got the chest piece on and he RAN. Got in a corner and tried to rip it off. "Langley, leave it!" And he stopped immediately. Got the second piece on and all was good, he even got excited that we were now going somewhere. Once we got home I took it off quick and he snapped at it. Whoa whoa whoa. So I made him have it near him without reacting, worked with him and the vest for a good 20 minutes until all was fine, and sent him to bed.

Has anyone else had any issues with putting something on their pup? Vest/collar/harness/leash/whatever. The only thing I can think of is the last time he had it on, we went to BestBuy and he was still not 100% after getting a "bad" bag of food and lots of tummy issues from it, and he had quite the.... accident, and wasn't too happy about it. Could that have effected his thoughts on the vest? What should I do to help? (The foundation already had all the pups used to the vests so we're not sure what goes into that)

Langley; Autism Assisstant Dog Guide               Indigo; Future Dog Guide
Black Labrador Retriever                                  Yellow Labrador Retriever
Henna & Prince, litter of 10                               Jolie & Vito, litter of 4
July 10, 2012                                                  October 6, 2013

Offline aefron

• Anne - Baltimore, MD
Re: Random vest issue
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:13:27 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm no help, but oh what a sweet baby!  Thank you for taking so much time to train him.  Someone is going to be very lucky.
Anne
Kaiya - Orion Farms Odin x Isis RIP
Leah - Cane Corso Resuce RIP
Charli - FWF Jazzy girl x Neil III, 10/6/2008, adopted 30 May 2011
Dakota - Orion Farms Moomba x Merlin, 10/152009, adopted April 2013
Grendel - Deepwoods Diesel x Whispering Willow, 7/8/2009, adopted from Orion Farms, October 2013

Offline taenhago

Re: Random vest issue
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 02:34:11 PM »
Could their be something stuck in the vest, like foxtail?  Is the vest rubbing the dog in a tender spot?  Check carefully the dogs coat to see if some spots are worn, just a thought.   I have a backpack for Tatanka and sometimes the strangest things get stuck in it and bothers him

good luck!
Taenha