Author Topic: Harness for dogs with Wobbler's and/or other neck issues or sensitivies.  (Read 1357 times)

Offline MParlier

• Administrator
  • Forum Owner/Administrator
AM Family member, Angel Warren, posted this harness on the AM Facebook page.  Her girl, Keevah, has Wobbler's syndrome.  Dogs with Wobbler's should not wear traditional collars which can put undue pressure on their necks, possibly causing further injury. Harnesses are the way to go for these pups.

This is what Angel found that works for her girl...

http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Harness-Large-Black-Silver/dp/B0009ZBKG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379293614&sr=8-1&keywords=premier+dog+harness+extra+extra+large

~AM Murphy, Flying W Farms (B: 1.23.05 ~ Rufus & Kady) CGC, Therapy Dogs International, Inc., RIP 8.22.2016
~Epileptic GSD mix Annie (B: 10.4.04 ~ adopted 5.06) RIP 5.17.08
~EM Frankie (B: 11.11.01 ~ adopted 10.07) RIP 10.28.09
~Epileptic AM Brody, Orion Farms (B: 9.11.09 ~ Merlin & Pandora ~ adopted 4.2.10) RIP 6.15.13
~EM Maggie (B: 10.17.05 ~ adopted 12.06) RIP 12.1.2013
~Chihuahua mix, Daisy (B: approx 2003 ~ adopted 11.09) RIP 1.31.2014

*You get out of a dog only what you are willing to put into it.

Offline Amluvr

Re: Harness for dogs with Wobbler's and/or other neck issues or sensitivies.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 07:39:15 PM »
Thanks Michelle. I was worried about strain on her neck and back with traditional collars and her neurologist strictly forbid them. I'd seen several people that had these gentle leaders and asked them, as well as a couple of vets, so far this is hands down the way to go. I was also told that if you have a dog that isn't very well behaved on a leash this is a good harness to have, especially if your pup is prone to chasing things such as other dogs or squirrels on a traditional collar/leash and you're not comfortable with prong or slip collars.
<3 A dog is the only being who will love you more than they love themselves. <3

Offline MParlier

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing what works for you and your girl.  I wish I knew of something like this when my EM Frankie was diagnosed with Wobbler's.  I'll hunt down and post the picture in this post showing what I had to use for him.  

http://amfamilyforum.net/Forum/index.php?topic=814.120  (scroll down a bit)

Here's one photo...
~AM Murphy, Flying W Farms (B: 1.23.05 ~ Rufus & Kady) CGC, Therapy Dogs International, Inc., RIP 8.22.2016
~Epileptic AM Brody, Orion Farms (B: 9.11.09 ~ Merlin & Pandora ~ adopted 4.2.10) RIP 6.15.13

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
  • The Herkimer Battle Jitney
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 07:45:53 PM »
Thanks for posting the info! :spinning_flower:
"More wagging, less barking!"
Mike & Barbara, SC

Bueller, silver fawn male, 8/31/04-5/16/13 (until we meet again) Orion Farms Juno X Odin
Jazz (Pooka's Jazzy Dream), apricot brindle female, 11/20/05-7/15/16(now walking with Bueller)Orion Farms Pooka X Odin
Herkimer Battle Jitney, apricot male, 9/08/06 Flying W Farms Lady Marsha X Nigel
              rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline Amluvr

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 08:33:25 PM »

This is a very good vid that shows exactly how to use this harness =) As you can see the dogs do MUCH better with it.

Offline rose

• Rose ~ Schenevus,NY
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 05:58:50 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing!!!!
Bella- Deepwood Acres(Diesel x Willow) 07/14/06 CGC, TDI
Rocco-Deepwood Acres(Diesel x Duchess) 09/13/07 CGC, TDI

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 05:52:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing what works for you and your girl.  I wish I knew of something like this when my EM Frankie was diagnosed with Wobbler's.  I'll hunt down and post the picture in this post showing what I had to use for him.  

http://amfamilyforum.net/Forum/index.php?topic=814.120  (scroll down a bit)

Here's one photo...

Loved that boy, Michelle!
Mike & Barbara, SC

Bueller, silver fawn male, 8/31/04-5/16/13 (until we meet again) Orion Farms Juno X Odin
Jazz (Pooka's Jazzy Dream), apricot brindle female, 11/20/05-7/15/16(now walking with Bueller)Orion Farms Pooka X Odin
Herkimer Battle Jitney, apricot male, 9/08/06 Flying W Farms Lady Marsha X Nigel
              rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline Cathy

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »
 :yoohoo:  :uhm_sign: I'm sorry but I have to say I DO NOT recommend this harness (premier easy walk harness)  being used for a dog with a neck or spinal injury. I own this harness and use it with Hamlet. It is primarily a training tool for dogs who pull while walking. It is not intended for any other use but as a training tool. This harness puts pressure on the shoulders and causes discomfort when a dog pulls while walking, thus discouraging the dog from pulling. Hamlet is definitely not comfortable in this harness outside of walking (i.e., sitting, lying down) and I wouldn't keep him in it any more than I'd leave him in a pinch collar when not walking him.  A simple google search comes up with many alternatives http://tinyurl.com/mfbowuz - I don't mean to ruffle any feathers...just imo  :woof:
Hamlet - Orion Farms - 11/20/05 - Odin x Pooka
Molly - Flying W Farms- 4/08/05 - Neil II x Allie

Qui me amat, amet et canem meum.
Who loves me will love my dog also
St. Bernard of Clairvaux, A.D. 1150, "Sermo Primus"

Offline Cathy

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
Mike & Barbara, SC

rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline dannette

• Dannette - Central PA
Harness for dogs with Wobbler's and/or other neck issues or sensitivies.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »
I have both the premiere and a ruff ware, along with several types.  The premiere was mainly bought for its intended use and its not left on in the house.  Keg is a puller and trying to walk him with other harnesses is like walking a bull on a leash.  That being said, if he's having a bad day he wears one of the other harnesses depending how much assistance he needs and we wouldn't be going for walks theses days.
For us it's been trial and error with finding harnesses and we've been very lucky so far in that Keg has been doing pretty well.
Keely 1/11/09
Dixie Ann x Ben Hershey
FWF

Keaghan 11/6/11
Paxton x Morgan
Deepwood Acres

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 08:03:42 AM »
I have both the premiere and a ruff ware, along with several types.  The premiere was mainly bought for its intended use and its not left on in the house.  Keg is a puller and trying to walk him with other harnesses is like walking a bull on a leash.  That being said, if he's having a bad day he wears one of the other harnesses depending how much assistance he needs and we wouldn't be going for walks theses days.
For us it's been trial and error with finding harnesses and we've been very lucky so far in that Keg has been doing pretty well.

Thanks for your input on these.  Hope Keaghan is well enough for many walks.
Mike & Barbara, SC

rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline Cathy

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 09:12:04 PM »
Glad to hear Keaghan is doing ok! The easy walk harness has been great for Hamlet on walks and  I highly recommend it.....maybe more so than the prong!   I had to order the ruff wear harness for our girl, Molly. Unfortunately we live in a split level and she has knee and hip problems :( I hope I don't *have* to use it for a long long time but I want to be prepared for the inevitable.

Offline Amluvr

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 12:37:19 AM »
That's actually WHY we got the premier harness, Miss Keevah is a Puller. Though it's most a mute point anymore anyway. Keevah isn't interested in walking much anymore, even after just a quarter of a mile she begins to lag behind me, and I walk as slow as a snail with no slime. No, these days Keevah's happy to walk around the yard, sometimes she will prance or do a short small gallop for a second or two, and then she saunters back inside. She's a happy girl though and any exercise she gets now will be on her terms not mine.

Keevah's doing really well with getting up, just moves a little slower SOME of the time, other times she's fine. Her getting down is what I notice the most. She sits on her bottom, leans with her ribs, then sort of flops down, it's almost as though laying down puts strain on her in someway. Maybe it does, maybe she's just a flopper (new word!)

Thank you very much Cathy for being ever vigilante and always helping to educate. I've gotten VERY good resources from you, including but definitely NOT limited to Keevah's neurologist. You Ma'am are a wealth of information and I'm glad for it. <3

Offline Winnifred

• Dezz - Basel, Switzerland
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 03:13:36 AM »
Hi AM Family!

This is the harness I use for Winnifred:
http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-collars-dog-harnesses/no-pull-dog-harnesses/freedom-no-pull-dog-harness-multi-functional-with-velvet-cushioning.html

It's sturdy, well-made and comfortable. We use the harness when we're doing work on the long line (or when we're working on tethering her to inanimate objects) and I usually couple it with the shock absorber bungee:
http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-leashes-lines-and-couplers/dog-leash-shock-absorber.html
Dezz
Mom to Winnifred, born August 17, 2010 at AMBer Pines (Sirius x Jewel)

Offline MParlier

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 12:34:05 PM »
Looks like a great harness! Thank so much for sharing! :) 

Michelle

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk