Author Topic: SWIMMING IS THE BEST  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Giorgio

• TOTO'
    • Stay and Visit Italy
SWIMMING IS THE BEST
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »
Swimming is the BEST exercise for humans and for dogs.

This because there is NO pressure on joints and bones.

AM are very well geared with webbed paws.

It is recommended to start swimming lessons in a small and shallow pool when they are puppies.

I swim from 40 years and I can assure you that this is the best exercise.

Toto' is 3 months old and this is the 4th swimming lesson.

1)

2)

:woo-hoo:

Giorgio & Toto'

Offline lucy

Re: SWIMMING IS THE BEST
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
Is he enjoying the swimming lessons? What a great way to cool off in the hot Florida sun.

Offline Giorgio

• TOTO'
    • Stay and Visit Italy
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »
Lucy,

Toto' is still a little bit afraid to go in the water but his fear is improving.

The best should be to do swimming lessons every day but I only have Sunday free.

:woof:
Giorgio & Toto'

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
  • The Herkimer Battle Jitney
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »
Great pictures!   :thumbs_up:
"More wagging, less barking!"
Mike & Barbara, SC

Bueller, silver fawn male, 8/31/04-5/16/13 (until we meet again) Orion Farms Juno X Odin
Jazz (Pooka's Jazzy Dream), apricot brindle female, 11/20/05-7/15/16(now walking with Bueller)Orion Farms Pooka X Odin
Herkimer Battle Jitney, apricot male, 9/08/06 Flying W Farms Lady Marsha X Nigel
              rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 07:50:57 PM »

Great pictures!   :thumbs_up:  Just remember---easy does it!  
Our Jazz wears a vest and gets to rest on either side of the pool whenever she wants to.
Mike & Barbara, SC

Bueller, silver fawn male, 8/31/04-5/16/13 (until we meet again) Orion Farms Juno X Odin
Jazz (Pooka's Jazzy Dream), apricot brindle female, 11/20/05-7/15/16(now walking with Bueller)Orion Farms Pooka X Odin
Herkimer Battle Jitney, apricot male, 9/08/06 Flying W Farms Lady Marsha X Nigel
              rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline MParlier

• Administrator
  • Forum Owner/Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »
Giorgio....  I'm sorry to be a pain in the butt.... but, in my honest opinion... if Toto is fearful of water/swimming, forcing him to swim might very well make it worse!  AMs, like EMs, are natural "sinkers."  Are you able to put a life vest on him??   Again.. in my honest opinion, from watching the videos and his body language, he looks very fearful.  

Also.... sorry if I'm being a complete pain... but I hope you realize that AMs are NOT "active" dogs by nature.  We humans cannot force a dog and/or breed to become something they're not.  Active dogs (who love to swim and walk long distances) would include Labs and other retriever breeds, Setters, etc...

Michelle
~AM Murphy, Flying W Farms (B: 1.23.05 ~ Rufus & Kady) CGC, Therapy Dogs International, Inc., RIP 8.22.2016
~Epileptic GSD mix Annie (B: 10.4.04 ~ adopted 5.06) RIP 5.17.08
~EM Frankie (B: 11.11.01 ~ adopted 10.07) RIP 10.28.09
~Epileptic AM Brody, Orion Farms (B: 9.11.09 ~ Merlin & Pandora ~ adopted 4.2.10) RIP 6.15.13
~EM Maggie (B: 10.17.05 ~ adopted 12.06) RIP 12.1.2013
~Chihuahua mix, Daisy (B: approx 2003 ~ adopted 11.09) RIP 1.31.2014

*You get out of a dog only what you are willing to put into it.

Offline Giorgio

• TOTO'
    • Stay and Visit Italy
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »
Dogs, as humans, when they use floating vest, they will usually not swim without.

Again, I never force to do anything I only train to win the natural fear of the water.

If you look at 2-4 year old babies doing swimming lessons, they never use floating devices and they are not very happy to swim.

After few lessons they win the natural fear of the water and they will be happy all their life.

The same thing happened to me, to my children and to my other dogs.

Let's talk now a little bit about the origins of the American Mastiff.

This is a very well successful designer breed from the English Mastiff and the Anatolian Shepherd/Mastiff.

The English Mastiff descend from the ancient Alaunt through the Pugnaces Britanniae.

This dogs were used from the Roman Empire more than two thousand years ago as war and working dogs.

The Neapolitan Mastiff from my city in Italy (Napoli) is coming from the same breed.  

The Anatolian is more than six thousand years old and was also used as war and working dog.

In the last years the original predisposition of this dogs has been changed from humans as house dogs.

They still have the original DNA, it is on us to have the activity back following their natural energy as puppies.

If we treat them as puppies coach potato this is what they will be all their life and they will not be happy and healthy.

He sink at the beginning of his first swimming lesson as I sink at the beginning of my first swimming lesson.

As soon as he learned how to move his legs he started to swim very fast thanks to his webbed paws.

Why you think they have webbed paws ?

This because 2 thousand years ago they were swimmers as the Newfoundland dog (same origins)    

If the Newfoundland dog will never see the water as puppy he will always bee afraid.

Do you force your dog to housebreaking or you train your dog to housebreaking ?

It is the same thing with swimming and workout.

:dog:
Giorgio & Toto'

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
Our Jazz can swim without a vest. We put it on her to "signal" that it is O.K. to go in the water.  No vest-no pool.  We can be assured she can be out in the yard when we are not present and she will not go into the water on her own.   
Jazz also  swims with a vest to help keep her afloat when she starts to fatigue. This way, she can continue to swim beyond that point and get more exercise. That's all there is to it.

Mike & Barbara, SC

rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline Giorgio

• TOTO'
    • Stay and Visit Italy
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 07:40:27 AM »
Very good !!
 :yay:
Giorgio & Toto'

Offline Giorgio

• TOTO'
    • Stay and Visit Italy
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 02:29:12 PM »
Toto' is 10 months old now.

We are just coming back from the Venice (FL) Dog Beach Park.

We never been in this beautiful beach, hundred of dogs on Sunday....the best place for socialization.

He never saw so many dogs free all together.

I was not surprised that he was the largest dog on the beach.

I was surprised that he was the best swimmer....I went for a long swim and when I decided to go back I saw Toto' swimming back of me, probably 1/2 mile off the shore....

When we came back to the beach, everybody asked me how was possible that a dog so big was swimming for so long and so fast...

Early puppy swimming lessons.... :yay:
Giorgio & Toto'

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 06:40:53 AM »
So glad you  and Toto enjoyed the  day! :sun_smiley:
Mike & Barbara, SC

rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline Teresa

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »
I think mastiffs swimming is gonna be like kids--we are all going to have different opinions. But, I think I am with Michelle on this one.

You mentioned the web feet being a sign that they were meant to swim--but really I doubt these "webbed" feet are for swimming.  Mastiffs have huge, heavy bone wrapped with tight muscle and very little natural fat.  They just are not built for swimming.

They are also top heavy dogs and that alone makes it very difficult for them. I think you mentioned the Newfie--but it you look at the Newfie--he is proportioned the same all over--not top heavy. I hope you do have a vest for your pup and that you also never allow them to swim unsupervised. I think they are not true swimmers and not joggers--its just not in their build. Of course they can swim if taught--anyone can--if taught--but I just don't think its safe to assume they can easily swim. But bottom line--if you are always right there with them in the water, they have a vest on, do not show fear or anxiety over the situation and you watch for fatigue--it might be okay for short swims. Just my own thoughts:)
Kirby
4/11/07 GideonXDixie
FWF

Offline Giorgio

• TOTO'
    • Stay and Visit Italy
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »
Webbed paws are for swimming, no doubt about that.
My Anatolian hooked paws were for hiking and mountain snow/mud climbing, no doubt about that.
Webbed paws are for swimming, this is from mother nature.
All the animals with webbed paws are excellent swimmers.
My AM is much faster in the water compared with my Anatolian because of his webbed paws.
My Anatolian was much "agile" compared with my AM to climb on the mountain because of his hooked paws.
Weight is not important for swimming, what is important is early puppy swimming training.
Giorgio & Toto'

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 07:42:55 AM »
I understand what you are saying, Giorgio, but, my Bueller had webbing between his claws and possessed no instinct for swimming whatsoever-even though we had a pool from day 1 with him.   When placed n teh water he just sank. When at the ocean, he would stand and let the swells wash over his head.  At no  time would he lift his paws to try to swim.  They do not possess natural bouyancy and have to work very hard due to their mass to stay afloat.  Unobserved  swimming is a "No No" due to how quickly fatigue CAN set in.
Just promise us that Toto will always be actively supervised in the water, O.K.?

Mike & Barbara, SC

rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline Giorgio

• TOTO'
    • Stay and Visit Italy
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »
AMs don't jump in the pools like they don't jump on the land.
AMs at NO TIME let their back legs off the ground.
They like to enter in the water from the beach.
If they don't learn to swim as puppies during the first 6 months of life there are good chances that they will not swim as adults.
Off course Toto' is always supervised in the water as well as on the land.
 :I.love.my.AM:
Giorgio & Toto'

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »
AMs don't jump in the pools like they don't jump on the land.
AMs at NO TIME let their back legs off the ground.
They like to enter in the water from the beach.
If they don't learn to swim as puppies during the first 6 months of life there are good chances that they will not swim as adults.
Off course Toto' is always supervised in the water as well as on the land.
 :I.love.my.AM:
Your words:
"I was surprised that he was the best swimmer....I went for a long swim and when I decided to go back I saw Toto' swimming back of me, probably 1/2 mile off the shore...."
Mike & Barbara, SC

rehomed to us 7/12/12