Author Topic: Andis 2-speed Nail Grinder & Kirby has a split nail!  (Read 632 times)

Offline Teresa

Andis 2-speed Nail Grinder & Kirby has a split nail!
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »
Hi all--I posted in the dremel section--but realized how old the posts were and maybe nobody wants to read back in there and didn't see my post. Kirby has the dreaded split nail. We have an appt with the vet on Thurs--cuz its bad.

Anyway, I am revisiting using a dremel for the future. Kirby hates noise though and I think I may have to look at alternatives. I googled quieter nail dremel or something like that--and I came across the Andis 2-speed nail grinder. Some professional groomers had used it on large dogs--also said it was quieter than others.  Anyone use this? Anyone heard of this? Is there a quieter dremel out there?

And I can't find that post about a good distraction with something frozen in the Kong? Was it a jolly stick or something?
Help---- :yikes:

Kirby
4/11/07 GideonXDixie
FWF

Offline dmartin

• Yes mom, we're sharing the bed.
Re: Andis 2-speed Nail Grinder & Kirby has a split nail!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »
When I first was using a dremel on Sasha, she would only let me do 1 or 2 nails and then start to fight me.  I started having my boyfriend hold a bully stick for her to distract her while I dremeled which worked quite well.  Now I freeze a bully stick in a Kong and I'm able to do at least 3 feet and sometimes 4 if I'm quick before she finishes it.  Sure beats fighting a 175 lb dog or taking the commercials from 4 TV shows to get all her nails done.  (I used to do two nails per commercial set while watching TV.)

Kiss is my next project for breaking to a dremel.  He's been in his crate beside Sasha while I do her nails so at least that way he's getting used to the sound.  I throw a few treats in there for him as I'm doing her nails so he's starting to associate the sound of the dremel with good things.  I've also been touching his feet and toes with the dremel while it's off and giving treats for that too.  Next step will be to touch his toes with the dremel on.  I'll freeze a bully stick Kong for him the first time try that next step.
Debbie from Toronto
Captain Kiss, CGN, CRNMCL, CRNTMCL - Hidden Acres Farm
Born May 9/14 to Abby / Bull

Sasha, CGN, CKC, CRNCL, SDS-SP, SDA - Hidden Acres Farm
Born: Dec 10/10 - RIP Aug 19/16
Hunley / Rebel

Sierra - Hidden Acres Farm                     
Born: Mar 6/08 - R.I.P.Oct 26/10           
Max / Savannah    

Spend your time teaching what you want, not stopping things you don't want.

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
  • The Herkimer Battle Jitney
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:01:31 PM »
Teresa---I just hit "Unread Posts" so it doesn't matter  when the thread was started.  If there is a new post, it'll pop up! 

I haven't gotten into the habit of using a dremel, so, I have no experience with that Andis 2 speed model.  Sounds like a winner though. 

Nice job, Deb, starting to break Kiss into the sound and positive association with treats
:woo-hoo:
"More wagging, less barking!"
Mike & Barbara, SC

Bueller, silver fawn male, 8/31/04-5/16/13 (until we meet again) Orion Farms Juno X Odin
Jazz (Pooka's Jazzy Dream), apricot brindle female, 11/20/05-7/15/16(now walking with Bueller)Orion Farms Pooka X Odin
Herkimer Battle Jitney, apricot male, 9/08/06 Flying W Farms Lady Marsha X Nigel
              rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 10:49:04 PM »
Hi all--well, Kirby's split nail became more like a splinterd 5-way nail after her self manicure! As bloody as it was--luckily, she did not need surgery--and we are hoping it grows back nice. She is on an antibiotic as well as a pain reliever. When her amateur bandaging did not work (while waiting for our appt)--I came across this video that I want to share should anyone else need it. I did find the wrap at my pet store and got it in pink:). It worked awesome!

I also found that the groomer at my Healthy Pet store uses a Dremel 7300 series on their dogs--you can get it at Walmart-pretty cheap--which is where they get theirs! I got mine and hope to begin using it soon--I did a little on her back feet--but obviously, don't want to bother her front at all. Its not as noisy as I thought it would be and it's a very nice compact size.

I'm beginning to think this whole thing was a ploy on her end--so she could see her vet one more time before he leaves the practice and moves to FL. I tried to hide his letter--but I bet she went snooping when I was @work and dreamed up this scheme! She does love him soooo much!
Kirby
4/11/07 GideonXDixie
FWF

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
  • The Herkimer Battle Jitney
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »
Thanks for the video. I am so glad that the speaker stressed about not wrapping too tightly and to not stretch the vet wrap.
I hope Kirby's nail grows back fully.  And, yes, sounds like a ploy to me, too!
:wink2:
"More wagging, less barking!"
Mike & Barbara, SC

Bueller, silver fawn male, 8/31/04-5/16/13 (until we meet again) Orion Farms Juno X Odin
Jazz (Pooka's Jazzy Dream), apricot brindle female, 11/20/05-7/15/16(now walking with Bueller)Orion Farms Pooka X Odin
Herkimer Battle Jitney, apricot male, 9/08/06 Flying W Farms Lady Marsha X Nigel
              rehomed to us 7/12/12