Author Topic: Dublin not eating  (Read 177 times)

Offline Dublin'sDad

• But Dad, I don't wanna walk!!!!!!!
Dublin not eating
« on: March 07, 2017, 05:09:12 AM »
It's been a very long time since my last post.  Happy to see the forum is still active.  There is a wealth of information here.  Dublin has episodes where she doesn't eat for a couple days at a time.  She has always had a sensitive stomach.  She has been on the science diet sensitive stomach and skin food since we've had her (7 years).  Usually she will begin to eat again after a couple of days.  However, lately (several months) she has had a LOT of gas.  We ordered a pro-biotic to give her which has seemed to help some, but now the no-eating situation.  In addition, she has been chewing on her tail to the point of making it bleed.  It's allergy season here in Florida, so that may be the reason for the chewing on the tail.  But the no eating has me worried.  I gave her fresh food and water in clean bowls.  Hoping this will do the trick.  Please provide any suggestions.  Next is trip to vet, I think.  Thanks 

"Dublin"
Orion Farms
2/24/2010
Calliope X Merlin

Offline Dublin'sDad

• But Dad, I don't wanna walk!!!!!!!
Re: Dublin not eating
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:27:04 AM »
 :AM.tail.wagger: Finally, this morning Dublin ate her food and had water so I feel a little better.  Hopefully this will pass.  Will keep a close eye on her, more than usual. 
"Dublin"
Orion Farms
2/24/2010
Calliope X Merlin

Offline dmartin

• Yes mom, we're sharing the bed.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »
Sorry to hear Miss Dublin is not doing well.  Really glad to hear that she ate this morning.  Do you think she may be bored with her food and would like to try something different? 

Also keep in mind as our dogs get older, they don't need as much food as they did before.  Perhaps she's just not hungry.  I know I  tend to not eat as much in the hot weather.   

It doesn't look like the forum will be around much longer but please try to keep us updated while it's still here. 

Nice to hear from you.
Debbie from Toronto
Captain Kiss, CGN, CRNMCL, CRNTMCL - Hidden Acres Farm
Born May 9/14 to Abby / Bull

Sasha, CGN, CKC, CRNCL, SDS-SP, SDA - Hidden Acres Farm
Born: Dec 10/10 - RIP Aug 19/16
Hunley / Rebel

Sierra - Hidden Acres Farm                     
Born: Mar 6/08 - R.I.P.Oct 26/10           
Max / Savannah    

Spend your time teaching what you want, not stopping things you don't want.

Offline Joanne

• Global Moderator
  • Joanne - Maryland
    • Daegan & Kieren's webpages
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:04:57 AM »
Debbie may be onto something.  Perhaps a change in food might perk her interest.  Also, our vet suggests Science diet too, but it is not that highly rated for our AMs.
I hope she is improving day by day.
Daegan - brindle AM, Diesel X Contessa, Deepwood Acres RIP 7/27/08-8/14/16
Kieren - fawn AM, Dozer X Zoey, Lazy M Ranch 4/6/10
Jessie James - apricot brindle AM, Hunter X Harper's Ferry, Hidden Acres 6/25/12

Offline lisa krause

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »
Shayna is a Merlin/Cali pup too and she also has a very sensitive stomach.  You can always tell first thing in the morning if she is not going to eat because she "has her weird ears on".  On those days, she acts just fine otherwise, just won't eat.  And then she gets really gassy and you can hear her stomach making all kinds of noises.  Usually she will eat later on that night, but if not, then we have to make her hamburger and rice and mix that with her food and then she will usually eat again.  Sometimes she will go for a day or two until she finally decides she is going to eat again.  Please let us know what you find out if you do go to the vet with her.
Ken & Lisa (Rock, PA)
Shayna (2/10/11) Merlin/Calliope
Titan (6/7/12) Merlin/Pandora
Orion Farms

Offline rose

• Rose ~ Schenevus,NY
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 10:45:01 PM »
My Rocco was a very,very picky eater. We had to change food many times. The only time he looked forward to meals was when we switched him to raw.
Sorry that Dublin is having issues. My daughters dog has to take Pepcid before meals to help settle his stomach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Bella- Deepwood Acres(Diesel x Willow) 07/14/06 CGC, TDI
Rocco-Deepwood Acres(Diesel x Duchess) 09/13/07 CGC, TDI

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
  • The Herkimer Battle Jitney
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »
I am sorry to hear that Little Miss Dublin has you worried.  Hopefully, it is just the age thing...Is she drinking as much  water? Is she now consistently back to "normal" eating? I remember when you drove all the way to Orion to get her.  An epic trip! 

Please keep us updated.
"More wagging, less barking!"
Mike & Barbara, SC

Bueller, silver fawn male, 8/31/04-5/16/13 (until we meet again) Orion Farms Juno X Odin
Jazz (Pooka's Jazzy Dream), apricot brindle female, 11/20/05-7/15/16(now walking with Bueller)Orion Farms Pooka X Odin
Herkimer Battle Jitney, apricot male, 9/08/06 Flying W Farms Lady Marsha X Nigel
              rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline MParlier

• Administrator
  • Forum Owner/Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 06:24:24 PM »
Like was mentioned earlier, maybe she just needs a little change of pace.  There are other foods out there that are tailored for sensitive stomachs (which also may be much better quality than Science Diet= not the best quality food for $$$$).  Maybe grain-free and/or limited ingredient foods may entice her. Does she prefer kibble or canned?

Michelle
~AM Murphy, Flying W Farms (B: 1.23.05 ~ Rufus & Kady) CGC, Therapy Dogs International, Inc., RIP 8.22.2016
~Epileptic GSD mix Annie (B: 10.4.04 ~ adopted 5.06) RIP 5.17.08
~EM Frankie (B: 11.11.01 ~ adopted 10.07) RIP 10.28.09
~Epileptic AM Brody, Orion Farms (B: 9.11.09 ~ Merlin & Pandora ~ adopted 4.2.10) RIP 6.15.13
~EM Maggie (B: 10.17.05 ~ adopted 12.06) RIP 12.1.2013
~Chihuahua mix, Daisy (B: approx 2003 ~ adopted 11.09) RIP 1.31.2014

*You get out of a dog only what you are willing to put into it.