Author Topic: Help - Biting and Nipping  (Read 244 times)

Offline dianna

• Scarlett 10 weeks
Help - Biting and Nipping
« on: April 04, 2017, 05:04:51 AM »
I really am in need of some advice.  I am at a loss of what to do to control the nipping and biting.  I have had dogs my entire life, my last three were labs and I do not remember any of them biting like this.  We do not and have not from the beginning allowed Scarlett to bite on our hands or anything.  We have always told her “no bite” and then given her a toy and told her “good girl” and I continue to do this.  She always wants to chew on us, if we are sitting on the floor with her while she is playing she will stop playing with her toy and bite us, she will sit up and then do her little hop jump thing and try to bite anywhere she can - hand, arm, chest, face.  She will sometimes nip at my feet especially when I am trying to get dressed.  She will grab at my pant legs.  The thing that is becoming more frightful to me is the way she will jump at you nipping, snapping her teeth most of the time going for the face.  I love sitting on the floor with her but have begun standing up so she doesn’t jump at my face or on my back to grab my hair, but she will jump up at me nipping still.  I always redirect her to a toy - only works for so long until she is tired, then she wants to cuddle and is the sweetest thing in the world.

As I said from the beginning with her I began no bite and giving her a toy then telling her good girl.  Continuing to handle it that way when she doesn’t stop and keeps coming back at you I have grabbed her under her ears and telling her no bite then giving her a toy and saying good girl.  I have tried after the first 3-4 times of no bite, toy, good girl not working and her coming back at me putting her in the crate for a time out - sometimes calms her after the first time and sometimes it takes two or three times.  She is so persistent with wanting to bite us she just keeps coming back for more and more and I don’t know what to do.  I feel like she shouldn’t be acting like this still.  She is 14 weeks now. 

I began working with a trainer last week.  He comes to the house, we do a one on one - he comes week 1, phone check in week 2, comes week 3, phone check in week 4 - I can call, email, text him anytime though and he said send videos if I want to ensure I am doing what he showed me correctly.  Now we are working engagement training, getting her to pay attention to me when I call her name, come and sit.  I had been working this stuff prior to beginning with him anyway, she has always paid attention to me, she watches everything I do and is completely apart of my day to day - she even lays on my lap while I do my makeup each morning - although yesterday was the first she didn’t she’s getting too big and can’t get comfortable, now today she is sleeping under my bed instead of on me while I get ready for work.  She had sit down so well and when I call her name she would look at me - depending on what she was doing.  She has easily picked up the daily routine.  But back to the biting - he told me when she bites to push her lip against a tooth and tell her no bite.  This seems to stop her quicker although she will try to come back gently, still testing me I guess, but sometimes keeps her coming back strong.  I still give her a toy if one is in reach and tell her good girl, or pet her and tell her good girl.  She is so persistant and just keeps coming back at you, nipping and barking.  Please some advice!  She really is such a lovable sweetheart except when she is acting this way.

Thanks!!!

Scarlett - Apricot Female - Boss x Page, Deepwood Acres  12/23/16

Madison - Chocolate Labrador  6/4/03 - 9/9/16
Grizzly - Chocolate Labrador  6/4/03 - 12/21/11
Haley - Yellow Labrador  5/7/93 - 7/12/03

Offline lucy

Re: Help - Biting and Nipping
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:51:51 AM »
Have you reached out to your breeder for advice? If not, start there.  The know these dogs and can give you guidance.

Offline dink1948

• FORUM STATISTICIAN
  • Ed - Vero Beach, Florida
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »
The shark has arrived. Keep up with the training and this to shall pass. I used the soda bottle with coins. It works. Being persistent is a must.

Ed & Cruiser  :paw:
Cruiser
Juno X Merlin 8-19-2008
Orion Farms
Mr-T Chihuahua 8/17/01 adopted 10/2004 passed over the bridge - 12-18-2014. RIP Little Fellow.
Romeo Chinese Crested 08/04/02 adopted 10/2004 passed over 10-07-2015. Tell Mr-T hello.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31380521@N04/

Offline dianna

• Scarlett 10 weeks
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
I email the breeder regularly with updates and pictures. I have mentioned the biting is a bite much but haven't gone into great detail. I do intend to email her for advice as well.

Dink1949 what is the soda bottle with coins trick and how do I use it in regards to biting?

Offline lucy

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:56:04 AM »
Puppies become more nippy when they are overtired.  Are you being consistent with putting puppy in a time out so they can rest?  Some things that I have used are:

Roll up a newspaper and hit it against your leg or table.  This will make a loud noise and distract puppy.
Put coins in a can and rattle it when you want to stop puppy from nipping. Redirect with new chew toy.
Get a large chew rope and put in a zip lock bag.  Add some chicken broth and freeze it.  When frozen give to puppy to chew.
Deer antlers or raw beef bones are good for puppy to chew on.  Put in freezer so it is cold and will help to sooth the puppy teething pain.
Use a loud tone of voice - I say "AAAAAHHHHHHHTTTTTT " instead of no. 
Do not put hands around puppies face.  Pet from head back and under belly.
If puppy is jumping (stand still) and act like a tree.  Do not move your hands around fast.  Leave the room. 
There are so many different things that you can try.  Hope that this helps. 

Offline dink1948

• FORUM STATISTICIAN
  • Ed - Vero Beach, Florida
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 09:38:43 AM »
Dianna: the above response is in depth. Follow and you will be rewarded.

Ed & Cruiser  :paw:
Cruiser
Juno X Merlin 8-19-2008
Orion Farms
Mr-T Chihuahua 8/17/01 adopted 10/2004 passed over the bridge - 12-18-2014. RIP Little Fellow.
Romeo Chinese Crested 08/04/02 adopted 10/2004 passed over 10-07-2015. Tell Mr-T hello.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31380521@N04/

Offline dianna

• Scarlett 10 weeks
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 06:04:54 PM »
It does seem that she is worse when she is tired.  I only put her in the crate for a few minutes to show her she can't be with me if she is going to bite.  She has always fallen asleep on me - it doesn't feel right if she doesn't lay on me to go to sleep!  I did get her a shin bone that I keep in the freezer until I give it to her and she loves that - comes running when she hears me open the freezer.  Last couple days have been better - but she has been pretty tired and not playing as vigorously as we have been use to.  Lots of good advice and different things for me to try.  I did read in another post that was made to try bitter apple or water and vinegar spay.  Something has to work - my arms and hands look awful.  Thank you everyone for all your advice!  I hate to sound incompetent but am afraid I am doing something wrong and don't want any longer term bad effects on my baby.

Offline lucy

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:41:17 AM »
Dianna - she is like a newborn baby and needs to be put in a safe spot to rest.  She should be sleeping about 2 hours and allowed to play only about 20 minutes at a time.  They are like children and do not want to miss out on anything.  You need to be CONSISTANT with what you are doing. 

Offline dianna

• Scarlett 10 weeks
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 09:58:49 AM »
Lucy – she does sleep a lot.  She will sleep anywhere from 1-2 hrs each nap time and will often wake, go to the bathroom and go back to sleep.  Her naps would be on my lap – which she doesn’t fit anymore, on the floor next to me with her head on my lap, laying on her blanket alone, or now a new spot she likes is in front of the steps on the carpet, she has also has started to go into her crate when she wants and lays down.  She is never disturbed when she is sleeping, I have no small children.  I can tell when she gets very sleepy because her eyes get extremely droopy and I will make her lay down to put her to sleep.  When she does wake up she is very playful.  She has a lot of energy.  When we were picking our puppy out the breeder told us she was the most energetic one.  She is very persistent and no matter how many times I say no bite and redirect her she will keep coming back at us trying to nip but jumping back quick enough so you can’t touch her all the while barking.  I say it seems to get worse when she is tired because most of the time she will be very persistent and want to bite us instead of a toy and keep coming at us, she will run around the house like a maniac in circles then she will lay down and pass out for a couple hours.  I have always and will continue to use “no bite” and give her a toy, was just wondering if I should try something else as well because with her being 15 weeks now it hasn’t stopped – or am I being unrealistic to the timeframe.  Don’t get me wrong, some days are better than others we have days where she will gently try to bite me and when I say no bite she stops.  She truly is the sweetest little girl and I love her to death.  I love sitting on the floor spending time with her but don’t want to be attacked as a chew toy.

I am very consistent with everything.  I am a routine oriented person.

Sorry for the long posts – I just talk things through a lot.

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
  • The Herkimer Battle Jitney
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 09:12:57 AM »
Hi Dianna!  Sorry, I am late to the "party" but I had been away and didn't bring my laptop with me.
First of all, Scarlett is a beautiful puppy!  I am sorry you are going through this joy-sucking phase with her.  Also, while not all AM puppies consistently have this strong nipping behavior, there have been enough to warrant the phrase "Demon Puppy Biting Phase."

Lucy and Ed have great suggestions.  Stay consistent with them. It will take time.  Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, Scarlett is also about to, if she hasn't already, entered the teething phase.  Buy the largest carrots you can and freeze them to give as a good soothing outlet for her bothersome gums.   Kongs frozen with doggie "ice cream" (non-dairy) or peanut butter stuffed inside is good, too.

I have had a number of giants, and the redirection has always worked.  This past year, we adopted two border collie/lab mixes from the shelter. That fly-by jump and nip was our Puck's signature move.  OUCH! and Holy Bruises, Batman!  It was unpredictable and dangerous.  When all else failed, I decided I had to get to him before he got to me and beat him at his own game. These guys are FAST, but, I managed to get the timing to take the offensive and pinch him on the fly!  Also, I was always "armed' with a toy for redirection immediately after the pinch. He decided it wasn't so much fun to jump at me and liked the running after a toy better. So, it was just an extra added step to the re-direction aspect. I suppose it is a more intense "unpleasantness" than the coins in a can concept. 

Ah! As always--I am not a trainer, just someone who has had a LOT of dogs and am sharing what has worked with this particular nipping on the run instance,
 which was a first for me!
"More wagging, less barking!"
Mike & Barbara, SC

Bueller, silver fawn male, 8/31/04-5/16/13 (until we meet again) Orion Farms Juno X Odin
Jazz (Pooka's Jazzy Dream), apricot brindle female, 11/20/05-7/15/16(now walking with Bueller)Orion Farms Pooka X Odin
Herkimer Battle Jitney, apricot male, 9/08/06 Flying W Farms Lady Marsha X Nigel
              rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline dianna

• Scarlett 10 weeks
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 05:42:37 AM »
I have been meaning to update this post - sorry for the delay!  About 1-2 weeks after my last post all of a sudden the nipping subsided substantially.  She will still try when playing, very lightly but most times a "no bite" gets her to stop.  She does like to test her boundaries through.  Sometimes she will still jump at our face to bite our nose though when we are sitting on the floor and she is in a very playful mood.  We have a lot to work on still, still a daily lesson on no biting, but I no longer feel like a chew toy and am not at my wits end any longer. 

Offline mobobbie

• Global Moderator
  • The Herkimer Battle Jitney
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »
I am so glad that the biting/nipping  is diminishing! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:  Life with your puppy should be fun!  Also, kudos to you for reaching out for advice from other owners and breeders.  Give your little one an extra treat from all of us!  :woof:
"More wagging, less barking!"
Mike & Barbara, SC

Bueller, silver fawn male, 8/31/04-5/16/13 (until we meet again) Orion Farms Juno X Odin
Jazz (Pooka's Jazzy Dream), apricot brindle female, 11/20/05-7/15/16(now walking with Bueller)Orion Farms Pooka X Odin
Herkimer Battle Jitney, apricot male, 9/08/06 Flying W Farms Lady Marsha X Nigel
              rehomed to us 7/12/12

Offline dmartin

• Yes mom, we're sharing the bed.
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 08:40:35 PM »
Hi Dianna,  I'm glad to hear the biting is finally subsiding.  When I got my first pup Sierra, she was a holy terror with the biting.  I did so much researching online and found this article that was quite helpful.  Hope you continue to increase the non-biting time with your pup.  She really is a cutie!

http://www.dogwhispererdvd.com/Ian-Dunbar/08PuppyBiting.pdf
Debbie from Toronto
Captain Kiss, CGN, CRNMCL, CRNTMCL - Hidden Acres Farm
Born May 9/14 to Abby / Bull

Sasha, CGN, CKC, CRNCL, SDS-SP, SDA - Hidden Acres Farm
Born: Dec 10/10 - RIP Aug 19/16
Hunley / Rebel

Sierra - Hidden Acres Farm                     
Born: Mar 6/08 - R.I.P.Oct 26/10           
Max / Savannah    

Spend your time teaching what you want, not stopping things you don't want.

Offline luvmy3ams

• Global Moderator
  • N Coilean, NE Chiot, SSE Nelly Lynn,Lake Villa,IL
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 04:20:21 PM »
How is you puppy doing now?  She will continue to go thru phases and test you periodically for at least the first 2 years. Even when things seem calm and great, continue with the training. You won't regret it.  :dance1:
~lynn~
Coilean [f, fawn] FWF (11/04), Gideon x RobinCarol CGC TDI, inc.
  :heart: RIP 10/5/13 :heart:
Chiot [f, apricot brindle] FWF (11/05), Gail x Brego :heart: RIP 6/30/15 :heart:
Nelly [f, brindle] FWF (04/07), Gideon x Dixie, successful adoption!

Offline dianna

• Scarlett 10 weeks
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »
She is doing great!  We don't really have anymore nipping or biting, just every now and then when she wants to play and we aren't paying attention.  But a firm no bite and telling her to get a toy stops it.  She really is the best dog, so lovable, playful, funny personality, I just love her to death.

Offline Joanne

• Global Moderator
  • Joanne - Maryland
    • Daegan & Kieren's webpages
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 05:28:00 AM »
Ah, you have survived the puppy biting stage!  Enjoy.  Teen-age comes next!!!  (You will still love her.)
Daegan - brindle AM, Diesel X Contessa, Deepwood Acres RIP 7/27/08-8/14/16
Kieren - fawn AM, Dozer X Zoey, Lazy M Ranch 4/6/10
Jessie James - apricot brindle AM, Hunter X Harper's Ferry, Hidden Acres 6/25/12