Author Topic: UTI's  (Read 58 times)

Offline dianna

• Scarlett 10 weeks
UTI's
« on: September 02, 2017, 07:08:29 PM »
Hi -

My Scarlett has a sunken vulva so she's more susceptible to UTI's.  She has had two since I have brought her home.  This last one was just a couple weeks ago - while we were away, my vet called in antibiotics for us which was great so she didn't have to suffer for a week until we got home.  After finishing the antibiotic a few days later she seemed to still have an urgency to pee and would continue to squat while walking the yard as if she had to go (this was my first indication she had a UTI).  My vet wanted to wait and see since she just finished antibiotics.  She had an accident on her bed - never does that.  Continued for a week and I started noticing her pee smelling funny again plus she had another accident - again never does that.  So I called and told them something is not right.  I took a urine sample in and the results are Struvite crystals and a high PH level.  So the vet wants me to change her food to Science Diet Large Breed Puppy Lamb and Rice.  I have had her on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream since I've had her.  I have read the ingredients of the Science Diet and really do not like them.  I want to keep her grain-free and I like the fact that most of the ingredients are fruits and vegetables in her food.

Has anyone else had a dog with Struvite crystals and a high PH level?  Any thoughts on the food change?  Would really like to hear some thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!

Scarlett - Apricot Female - Boss x Page, Deepwood Acres  12/23/16

Madison - Chocolate Labrador  6/4/03 - 9/9/16
Grizzly - Chocolate Labrador  6/4/03 - 12/21/11
Haley - Yellow Labrador  5/7/93 - 7/12/03

Offline Joanne

• Global Moderator
  • Joanne - Maryland
    • Daegan & Kieren's webpages
Re: UTI's
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »
Yes, my Daegan had them, along with multiple other things.  My specialty vet put her on Science Diet as well.  I also didn't like the ingredients at all and had just gone grain-free too.  I expressed my concerns to the vet and kept Daegan on Science for as little time as possible.  The antibiotics did work on the crystals and the problem did not return.
Daegan - brindle AM, Diesel X Contessa, Deepwood Acres RIP 7/27/08-8/14/16
Kieren - fawn AM, Dozer X Zoey, Lazy M Ranch 4/6/10
Jessie James - apricot brindle AM, Hunter X Harper's Ferry, Hidden Acres 6/25/12